Thursday, January 10, 2008

I am Nemo.

You know you've reflected too much when your imagination jumps from becoming an architect, to an accountant, to an academic, to an ambassador to the UN in matters of hours.

In this sea of people and chaos, where the unknown swallows those who're unsure, I felt choked, robbed, and blinded from truth.

To my friend Lina aka Ayu, please forget what I said about freaking accounting. I am everywhere yet nowhere. Hope you understand my situation.

Next, the real stuff.

Spoke to a friend about cluster munitions. It is currently debated .. hmm, where exactly is it debated at? Well, somewhere in Geneva, I imagine an IGO where he's currently working at.

When he mentioned cluster munitions to me, that was the first time I heard about it, phrased that way. It is essentially landmines, only more sophisticated, smaller, deadlier, more widely used now.

So according to him this debate's objective is to find an instrument to limit to the best possible, the utilisation of this weapon. Tough Joes of the West and Israel love this thing. Israel recently use them during the Lebanon attack. It is argued for that the use of cluster munition protects their soldiers. Therefore, making its utilisation beneficial, needed from their perspective.

Unfortunately, once they leave the battle field, they do not care to clean up the mess - leaving the inhabitant of the land exposed to landmines. Landmines maim, kill, disrupt economic activities, and frustrate many. In addition to cleaning up the landmines,there is also an issue about who is going to bear the healthcare cost of the victims?

Talking about costs- the costs of an injured breadwinner is high for a society. An injured or dead breadwinner in a lot of times means the collapse of a family's economic ability, creating more people in need in comparison to those who provide. I am sure though, that this aspect will be least considered by the states which use the weapon.